Tillis Leads Efforts to Create Jobs and Grow North Carolina’s Clean Energy Economy
WASHINGTON — Today, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) formally announced its endorsement of U.S. Senator Thom Tillis in his reelection bid for the United States Senate.
In order to receive CRES’s endorsement, candidates must acknowledge a role for the federal government in reducing America’s carbon emissions and developing a robust clean energy industry, as well as demonstrate leadership on policy initiatives related to climate change and emissions reduction.
“Senator Thom Tillis’ leadership on clean energy policies has helped the industry create nearly 113,000 jobs in North Carolina, which is strengthening the state’s economy, lowering emissions, and preserving our climate,” said CRES Executive Director Heather Reams. “As a long-time champion of harnessing the power of domestically-sourced energy, he’s worked to secure our electric grid, grow clean energy jobs at home, including wind and solar, and lower energy costs for his constituents while serving in the United States Senate. CRES is proud to formally endorse Thom Tillis for reelection and support his campaign.”
“I’m grateful to have received an endorsement from Citizens For Responsible Energy Solutions. Energy independence is not only important for the preservation of our climate, but also the advancement of our national security. As long as I’m in the U.S. Senate, I will continue to fight for market-driven solutions that increase North Carolina’s clean and renewable energy capabilities,” said U.S. Senator Thom Tillis.
CRES-endorsed candidates have contributed to a policy landscape to advance clean energy and emissions reductions in a way that puts the needs of the country first. Examples of initiatives and legislation championed by CRES and endorsed candidates have included reforming and reauthorizing ARPA-E and advanced nuclear research and development; commonsense, market-based emissions-reduction policies, including legislation to help farmers, ranchers and landowners embrace sustainable farming practices and participate in voluntary carbon markets; and policy solutions to incentivize the next generation of hydropower, wind, solar and geothermal generation, among others.
Senator Tillis’ record on clean energy includes the following:
- Co-sponsored the landmark Great American Outdoors Act, a law that provides funding to the Land and Water Conservation Fund and helps maintain national parks. President Trump signed the bill into law on August 4.
- As a long-time supporter of the wind and solar industry in his home state, he recently urged Senate leaders to include policies that bolster jobs and innovation across the clean energy sector be considered as part of COVID-19 recovery and relief packages.
- Joined Senators Murkowski and Collins in urging the Treasury Department to take additional steps to provide flexibility to the renewable energy industry as numerous projects were stalled by the COVID pandemic.
- Co-sponsored legislation to help improve domestic development of critical minerals to ensure that the United States is on top of the supply chain needed to increase domestic clean energy technology.
- Co-sponsored the recent U.S. Senate resolution formally recognizing National Clean Energy Week 2020. The resolution passed the United States Senate by unanimous consent on Sept. 17, 2020.